Applying for section eight varies by states but most of them follow the same basic requirements and steps.
Section Eight (Section 8) is ran by the local PHA (Public Housing Authority
). The First step is to first determine whether or not you are eligible for section 8.Eligibility Requirements
- Are you a US Citizen or is at least one member of household a US citizen?
- Family’s income must not exceed 50% of the median income for county or area.
- By law the PHA must provide 75% of its voucher to applicants whose incomes do not exceed 30% of median income
- You can search HUD Median income levels here and here.
- Do you have good references, showing you paid your rent on time and have good standings with residences?
You are not eligible if:
- You have a history of drug use, alcohol abuse or violent criminal behavior.
- You committed fraud in connection with a federal assisted housing program in the past
- If the apartment or home you plan to rent is owned by a family member or other close relative
You can apply online by reviewing the housing choice vouchers
fact sheet with HUD or by finding the local HUD office near you
Add your Answer